Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was looking for some Halloween recipes, and stumbled across this little gem online. I altered it slightly, adding basil, a stock cube, and using some fresh tomatoes as well as tinned. The soup has to be hot to melt the cheese a bit, but the idea is that it gives you a different texture, and as a Halloween soup the kids can play with the 'goob' as well as eat it. The preparation and cooking times are estimates, more or less. Just judge it by sight :)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 chicken stock cube, dissolved in
- 125 ml hot water
- white pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
- fresh basil leaf
- mozzarella cheese, pearls (or clumps of mozzarella, if you'd prefer)
- Put your tomatoes, onion and garlic into a blender and whizz until smooth.
- Pour it all into a pan and put it over a medium heat.
- Add the flour, butter, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the stock.
- Let it reduce, then throw about two or three ripped up basil leaves inches.
- At the bottom of the bowls, put three or four of the pearls/lumps of mozzarella inches Make sure they're small, about marble-sized.
- Pour the hot soup into the bowls, add a basil leaf on the top and serve immediately.