Recipe by JanetSmith154
Old Timey bread and sausage dressing for Turkey... This recipe can be made with different breads, liquids, and sausage...It's FANTASTIC with turkey gravy! The "smushing" is a term my great grandmother used when passing this down, verbally.
- 24 ounces white bread, toasted and cubed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 2 cups chicken broth, warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cubed bread toasts in a large bowl.
- In a 10 or 12in skillet, melt butter, add celery and onion and saute till soft - about 5 minutes.
- Place cooked celery and onion in the same bowl as the bread, and in the same skillet add the sausage.
- Cook and crumble the sausage until browned. Do NOT drain off the rendered fat
- Combine the sausage and fat, salt, and pepper with the cubed bread toast and vegetables.
- Pour in the warmed chicken broth a little at a time, until the bread is moistened and workable enough to be "smushed" together with the other ingredients.
- Spoon into a casserole dish and warm through at 350 for about 30 minutes.
- *This dish is freezeable and our family has stuffed the bird as well with this dressing -- .