Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Onion lovers unite!!! This is a very good side dish for BBQ. I found this recipe in a magazine over ten years ago, I think while waiting at the Vet's. Vidalias are best, but I just use spanish, red's, or any combination thereof.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 medium onions, sliced (or more if you like)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (I use Healthy Request)
- 1 cup milk
- white pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 lb gruyere cheese or 3⁄4 lb swiss cheese, cut up
- French bread, sliced into about 1 inch pieces
- melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Butter casserole dish (shallow one).
- Melt butter in large skillet and add onions.
- Cook until tender and translucent.
- Stir often.
- Transfer onions to prepared dish.
- Combine milk, soup, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Pour over onions.
- Sprinkle cut cheese over top.
- Brown bread slices (one side only) in skillet.
- Add butter as needed.
- Placed on top of casserole with browned side up.
- Bake until bread browns even more.
- About 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Hello again, Bayou Andy. What a find! This recipe is right up my alley! I love onions and this sent me into onion heaven! I usually don't like recipes with canned cream of . . soups but this one was great! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe, Diane :=)
Wow! This was great! I didn't have any swiss or gruyere, and I had to substitute it with muenster and parmesean combo. I only had 5oz of muenster and sprinkled fresh shredded parmesan to help a little. It turned out spectacular. My NEW favorite dish! Make sure you cook the onions on med/low and simmer them for at least 15 minutes. Also make sure the bread is a GOOD french. I used a loaf of stale "organic french loaf" from Trader Joe's. It was even better reheated. The bread was chewy and the onions sweet. (I also tried it with garlic added to the toasted french bread but it was ruined it. The garlic bread overwhelmed it.)