Recipe by Bayou Andy
Onion lovers unite!!! This is a very good side dish for BBQ. I found this recipe in a magazine over ten years ago, I think while waiting at the Vet's. Vidalias are best, but I just use spanish, red's, or any combination thereof.
Top Review by Manami
Hello again, Bayou Andy. What a find! This recipe is right up my alley! I love onions and this sent me into onion heaven! I usually don't like recipes with canned cream of . . soups but this one was great! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe, Diane :=)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 medium onions, sliced (or more if you like)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (I use Healthy Request)
- 1 cup milk
- white pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 lb gruyere cheese or 3⁄4 lb swiss cheese, cut up
- French bread, sliced into about 1 inch pieces
- melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Butter casserole dish (shallow one).
- Melt butter in large skillet and add onions.
- Cook until tender and translucent.
- Stir often.
- Transfer onions to prepared dish.
- Combine milk, soup, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Pour over onions.
- Sprinkle cut cheese over top.
- Brown bread slices (one side only) in skillet.
- Add butter as needed.
- Placed on top of casserole with browned side up.
- Bake until bread browns even more.
- About 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.