WI Cheesehead's Note:
This is an adaptation of the Deceptively Delicious macaroni & cheese recipe. I have kids with gluten and dairy allergies. This is not cheap, as you use a cheese and cream cheese substitute, but it was good enough for my husband to like it! I have tried the nutritional yeast recipes and they didn't go over as well here. At 6 servings, the size is pretty generous, as it served my family of 5 with at least 2 servings left over. Cooking time does not include cooking the noodles, as that time can vary quite a bit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 946.36 ml gluten-free pasta, cooked (Tinkyada brand is great)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml gluten-free flour (I use sorghum or buckwheat)
- 118.29 ml rice milk
- 118.29 ml butternut squash or 118.29 ml yam, pureed
- 283.49 g package soy cheddar cheese, cut into 1-inch chunks (Follow Your Heart brand)
- 113.39 g tofutti better-than-cream-cheese (non-hydrogenated, in the yellow pkg)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 1In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the flour, stirring until thick paste.
- 2Gradually add the rice milk, and cook, stirring every now and then, until the mixture begins to thicken, about 3-4 minutes.
- 3Add the rest of the ingredients and stir, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- 4Stir in the cooked noodles and serve warm.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (11 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 36.2
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 201.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
soy cheddar cheese