Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese
Even though you've got dietary restrictions, that doesn't mean that yummy comfort food is off the menu!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups shredded cheese, divided
- 16 ounces gluten-free elbow macaroni
- Preheat oven to 375° F and grease 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions BUT reduce cooking time so the pasta is still quite a bit firm.
- Drain macaroni and set aside.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Stir in seasoned salt and pepper; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk corn starch into milk until smooth.
- Stir milk into butter mixture and whisk until well-blended.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thickened (about 5 minutes or so) and remove from heat.
- Stir three cups of shredded cheese into sauce until melted; reserve one cup of cheese for topping.
- Combine cheese mixture with macaroni and spoon into prepared pan.
- Top with crunchy topping (recipe below) and reserved shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until crunchy topping is nice and toasty.
- CRUNCHY TOPPING: Pulse in a food processor until it becomes coarse crumbs: 2 slices toasted gluten-free bread; 1 tsp butter, softened; 1/2 teaspoons paprika.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Okay, when it says milk - Use Whole Milk, it has more cream and fat in it to help thicken the sauce. There is no need to mix butter and corn starch together. Mix 6 table spoon of corn starch with 3 table spoon of water together to make a slurry. Add that into the milk to slowly let it thicken. I use Gruyere, Parmesan Reggiano, Cheddar, and Fontina Cheese.
I made this with 2 T butter, melt til bubbling, add 1/4 cup of white rice flour, whisk until bubbly keep whisking for 1 minute, slowly add 2 3/4 of hot milk and keep whisking until thick. I then add 1 t salt, 1/2 t cayenne, 1/4 t pepper, 1/8 t nutmeg then stir in 3 cups of cheese (1 aged cheddar, 2 gruyere) combine with 8 oz macaroni partially cooked. I add broken up GB bread mixed with 2 T butter and sprinkle over the top plus the 1 cup of cheese before baking on 375 for 30 mins or until bread is browning.