Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Two bite brownies with the nutrition of whole grains, chia, zucchini and walnuts. Inspired by Squash Brownies. To make them casein free I mix 1 cup of cashew, almond or rice milk with the chia instead and eliminate the yoghurt.
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free oats, ground
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1⁄2 cup sorghum
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ounce chia seeds (two tablespoons)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 2 cups zucchini, grated fine
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped (I grind them)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl mix flours, baking soda, baking powder, guar gum, salt, cocoa and instant coffee. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the chia with the water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the oils and sugars. Add the vanilla and eggs beat well. Stir in the yogurt. Stir the chia mixture again and add it to the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet a cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Add the zucchini, walnuts and chocolate chips and mix well.
- Let dough sit for 30 minutes to allow the guar gum set up and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill mini muffin tins to the top and bake for 15 to 25 minutes until the tops are set or a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.