Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Arrowhead Mills.
- 3⁄4 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Stir dry ingredients together, making sure xanthan gum is evenly distributed.
- Cut in butter or oil and add honey.
- Add cold water a little at a time until a ball is formed.
- Roll dough to 1/8" thickness between two sheets of aluminum foil.
- Peel top sheet of foil off, and invert dough onto a 9" pie pan.
- Peel off other foil sheet.
- Prick dough with fork, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes until brown.
Gluten free baking is more an art than science. With flours, using only one flour is usually not as good as using several flours. I'd suggest using a GF flour mix here, or using only a mix of rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, or even some sorghum or teff.
I actually forgot the honey and it was wonderful! Flakey and delicious under my strawberry pie! It was a huge hit. New to GF due to DH diagnosis so thank you for your help.
this pie crust completely fell apart on me when i inverted it into the pie plate. also, there was not enough dough for my 9" plate. i used oil instead of butter, maybe that was the problem. not sure.