Recipe by gemini jodi
Yet another yummy recipe that I de-glutened, so our whole family can enjoy. These are especially good as the sandwich of ice cream sandwiches, with either ginger, vanilla or cinnamon ice cream in them.
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups gluten-free baking mix or 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- sea salt (iodized salt won't work)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder & xanthan gum and set aside. Mix together the sugar dredging mixture (last 2 ingredients) in another bowl and set aside.
- Put 10 tablespoons of butter into a skillet over medium heat. Once the butter takes on a tan color (after it foams) and becomes aromatic, take it off of the heat. Add the other two tablespoons of butter and mix it in until it melts.
- Pour brown butter into a large mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar and salt, mix well. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix again, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl at least once. Add the dry ingredients in three parts. Mix just until the flour is incorporated. The dough will be very thick.
- Take 1/2 tablespoon sized pieces of dough (make sure the pieces of dough are all the same size) and gently roll them into ball shapes. Roll them in the sugar mixture until well-coated. Place on the baking sheet and sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt, if desired (be reserved with the salt as very little goes a long way).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges have browned a bit. Do not over-bake. Allow to cool on the sheet for one minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with cold milk or hot coffee.
- Makes 4 dozen.