Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake will just melt in your mouth, and has an awesome lemon flavour. Perfect for tea parties or bridal showers or that kind of thing if the kids don't eat it all first.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In medium bowl, combine milk, eggs, and vanilla and beat lightly.
- Add half this mixture as well as the butter to the dry ingredients and beat at medium speed for one minute.
- Add the remaining egg mixture in 2 parts, beating at same speed for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Beat in poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Spoon batter into a loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or till done (test with toothpick).
- Lemon Glaze: in a small saucepan beat the 1/2 cup of sugar into the 1/4 cup of lemon juice till dissolved.
- Brush 3/4 of the glaze onto the cake while still in the pan.
- Let cool 10 minutes, invert and brush the bottom and sides with the remaining glaze.
This is fabulous. I did not glaze it as I never got around to it. But, the wonderful news is that we loved it without the glaze. We ate this for breakfast with nothing else but a glass of milk. Oh man it just melts in your mouth.
Taste delicious! I change a couple of things. 1) I like my zest in the cake, so put it in the batter mixture. 2) I'm impatient... so I omitted the 1/2 beating stages of mixing the batter. And they are still yummy! 3) I put in cupcake pan. They baked for about 35 minutes for me they look great! Baked until tops split and just browned on tops. Took out of oven then poured the lemon sugar mixture over them while still in the cupcake pan to hold all the juice in each cupcake. Just ate my first one. Fabulous! Serving tonight to a WOW Gal party and am sure the presentation will be awesome as well. Thank you Chef Semra22!