Recipe by Lorac
Pineapple and fresh ginger add a lovely tropical flavor. The orange flavored Teriyaki glaze makes the perfect topping. I prefer to substitute ground pork for the chicken. For the meatball version check out the recipe for Hawaiian Meatballs. Recipe from "Sam Choy's Island Flavors".
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 orange, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Meatloaf: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all meat loaf ingredients.
- Place mixture in a loaf pan and bake 55 minutes.
- Pour off any grease, top with 1/4 cup glaze and bake 5 minutes.
- Let sit 5-10 minutes before slicing and serve with remaining glaze.
- Glaze: Combine cornstarch and water.
- Add remaining ingredients to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened.