Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 small garlic clove, mined
- 1⁄2 cup water
- fresh ground pepper
- Scrub the carrots and cut on bias into slices 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Add carrots, cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil or oregano, sugar, garlic, water and pepper.
- Cook uncovered, about 20 minutes until carrots are tender and liquid is reduced to a thin syrup.
We liked this, it wasn't too much like some glazed carrots are. I left out the oil and just cooked them in the water at the start. We will make these again, we used baby carrots too.
These were pretty tasty. I used baby carrots and didn't bother slicing them. They cooked up quickly and had a nice flavour. The syrup wasn't very syrup-y (it reduced and pretty much disappeared really quickly). Which was fine - if there was any more sugar the dish would be too sweet... as is, it was just right :)