Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mark Bittman, The Best Recipes in the World. A traditional Swedish hot drink that is powerful.
- 1 (750 ml) bottledry fruity red wine (like Pinot Noir or Zinfandel)
- 1 (750 ml) bottle port wine
- 375 ml cognac (half of a 750 ml bottle) or 375 ml brandy (half of a 750 ml bottle) or 375 ml rum (half of a 750 ml bottle) or 375 ml vodka (half of a 750 ml bottle)
- 1 orange, zest of
- 10 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cloves
- 5 slices fresh ginger
- sugar, to taste
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup blanched almond (optional)
- In a saucepan, combine the wine, port, cognac, orange zest, and spices along with 2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Cool, cover, and refrigerate overnight, at least 12 hours.
- Strain the mixture, then reheat it (do not boil) and add sugar, to taste.
- Add the raisins and almonds (you may just put a teaspoonful in each glass if you are using these) and serve hot.