Recipe by Jeshica
This is a casserole of sweet, salty, gingery root vegetables. I invented it because I wanted a not-too-sweet sweet potato recipe to compliment some pork chops I was making. We had lots of ginger, an extra potato and some carrots lying around, so I added those in, too. The recipe is very loose, so play around with the ingredients however it suits you. Might be nice with some citrus, or perhaps with cayenne pepper, too.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 lb potato
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot (peeled, then chopped or grated)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Scrub and peel the sweet potatoes, potatoes and carrots. Chop them into uniform 1/4 inch slices.
- Mix together the olive oil, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper. Pour over the vegetables and combine so that they're mostly covered.
- Arrange the vegetables in an 8-inch baking pan. Place the butter on top so that it will run down and melt.
- Cook the vegetables for 30 minutes, then add the chicken broth and cook until they are soft, about 15 minutes more.