Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, Ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, Ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin, Ground
- 2 tablespoons chicken or 2 tablespoons pork fat or 2 tablespoons beef fat
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup onion, Finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, Finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, Minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup pan drippings from chicken
- 8 gingersnap cookies
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger, Ground, to taste
- Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt the fat and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When almost melted, add the onions, celery, and garlic; saute 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the seasoning mix and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock and pan drippings; bring to a boil over high heat and boil rapidly until liquid reduces to about 1 quart, about 25 minutes.
- Then crumble the gingersnaps into the stock mixture and whisk with a metal whisk until they are dissolved.
- Continue cooking 10 minutes, whisking frequently and making sure the gingersnaps are thoroughly dissolved.
- During this time, taste the gravy; if the ginger flavour is not pronounced,m add the 1 tablespoon brown sugar and the 1 teaspoon ginger or add both to taste.
- Strain the gravy.