Recipe by Ginger_B
I invented this recipe completely on my own on a cold winter day when I craved something spicy but simple. I've never made plain tomato soup since :) It's a truly wonderful change, spicy but creamy, warm and smooth..and kids love it. If your children are particularly sensitive to spiceiness, you may want to reduce the hot pepper sauce and possibly eliminate the red pepper flakes. My boyfriend and his son actually came up with the name "Dorito Soup." They love it on a cold day! I'm sure yours will, too!
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 7 ounces water (half can)
- 7 ounces milk or 7 ounces 2% low-fat milk or 7 ounces reduced-fat milk or 7 ounces lowfat 1% low-fat milk or 7 ounces skim milk (Just not buttermilk, evaporated or powdered milk.)
- 2 -4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (or cheese of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon texas pete hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- saltine crackers or butter flavored cracker
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, combine tomato soup, water and milk.
- Stir until reasonably blended.
- Add grated cheese, hot pepper sauce, crushed red pepper and black pepper.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring often.
- Continue heating until cheese has melted into soup.
- Add salt, stir well.
- Pour into bowls or cups, and serve with crackers (I crush mine into the soup).