Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
I made this recipe this morning, as is it ever good. I found this out of a recipe book I had, and it had 2 variations of cooking which are both listed. Definately recommended, and is great for a dessert, or for company.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sorghum molasses
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 lemons (juice only)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- powdered sugar (for garnish)
- Cream together 1/2 cup butter and sugar.
- Add egg, and mix well.
- Add molasses, and mix well.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt, and stir into creamed mixture.
- Add coffee, and beat well.
- There are 2 ways to make the gingerbread:.
- a. If you have a 2 pound coffee can, grease and flour the inside of it, and pour in the batter.
- Place in slow cooker, and pour water around the insert, or coffee can.
- Cover insert with its lid, or coffee can with 6-8 paper towels.
- b. Cut waxed paper or parchment paper to fit bottom of slow cooker, and place in bottom of slow cooker.
- Spray paper and sides of cookers interior with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour batter into preheated slow cooker.
- Cover cooker with the lid slightly ajar to allow excess moisture to escape.
- Cook on high for 1 3/4 - 2 hours,or on low for 3-4 hours or until edges are golden, and center comes out clean.
- If you used a baking insert, or a coffee can, remove from cooker, and cool on a cake rack.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before running knife around outer edge of cake and inverting onto serving plate.
- If you baked the gingerbread directly in the cooker, cut the cake into wedges after allowing it to cool for 30 minutes, and carefully lift the wedges out of the cooker onto serving plates.
- In a saucepan, mix together the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add lemon juice, and water, stirring with each addition.
- cook over medium heat for 1 minute, or until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat , and stir in butter.
- If the gingerbread has been cooling on a rack, cut it into wedges.
- To serve, top with sauce, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.