Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
ANNA’S GINGERBREAD from Anna Olson's Bakery Served with sweetened whipped cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180 C).
- Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Beat in molasses, lemon zest, then beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt, stirring until blended. Stir in sour cream, then boiling water.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for 40 –45 minutes, until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 20 minutes, before turning out on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Then enjoy with some sweetened cream or a nice lemon sauce.
YES a five star! Both wonderful and has that old fashioned taste that makes for childhood memories - how well I remember the awesome gingerbread my mom would make for dessert on a cold winters night. I am betting Anna got that recipe from her mom! Thank you for sharing. Made in memory of Elly's DH.
This is a wonderful, old fashioned kind of gingerbread, reminds me of the gingerbread my mother used to make. My kitchen smelled fabulous while this was baking, we couldn't wait for it to cool to have some! Yummy. Thanks for posting!