Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Grammy Mae had a secret... she used to add a tsp. or two of chilled bacon grease to the Crisco to make up the 1/3 cup shortening in this recipe. (I know... but she and Grampy both lived to be a ripe old age!)
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup hot water
- Butter and flour a 9x 9 cake pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix flour, baking soda and spices together.
- Set aside.
- Mix molasses and hot water.
- Stir and set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and molasses mixture to creamed mixture.
- Resulting mixture will be rather thin.
- Pour into cake pan and bake for 45 minutes or more until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning out.
- Serve with whipped cream flavored with pure vanilla and sweetened with sugar.