Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 mins
A christmas favorite
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2⁄3 cup molasses
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and molasses and beat until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture beating until incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in center of oven.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch.
- Use a floured cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
- With an offset spatula lift the cut out cookies onto the baking sheet, placing the cookies about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for about 8 - 12 minutes or till they are firm and the edges are just beginning to brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for about 1 minutes. When they are firm enough to move, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.