Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I started out making candied ginger truffles, and felt like something was missing so I added in some cloves and the next thing I knew I was making scrumptious gingerbread truffles. These have a little spice kick to them due to the ginger, but I would still say they are mild.
- 12 ounces dark semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups candied ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 -3 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a double boiler melt chocolate with shortening. (make sure the boiling water is a few inches away from the metal bowl or pot you use).
- Once melted remove from heat and add in minced ginger, grated ginger, cloves, vanilla, salt and sugar. Mix well and add in cream mix well.
- Place in a sealed container overnight or for a few hours.
- Spoon out or melon ball truffles and shape into "balls" I found they where a bit off round as they have chunks of ginger. Work quickly and toss truffles in coco, icing sugar or dip in ganache. Top with a sliver of candied ginger and enjoy.
- Will keep for a month in the fridge.