1/3 Photos of Gingerbread Cake (Spicy)
1 hr 10 mins
Adapted from a Gourmet recipe, this spicy gingerbread originated from the Gramercy Tavern. It's excellent warm, and even better after one day. If you like a deep, spicy gingerbread, you might try this one!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup oatmeal stout beer or 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting) (optional)
- 1Butter a 10-inch (10- to 12-cup) bundt pan well and dust with flour, shaking out excess.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3Generously butter bundt pan and dust with flour, knocking out excess.
- 4Bring stout and molasses to a boil in a large saucepan and remove from heat.
- 5Whisk in baking soda, then cool to room temperature.
- 6Sift flour, baking powder, and spices in a large bowl.
- 7Whisk together eggs and both sugars.
- 8Whisk in oil, then molasses mixture.
- 9Add to flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
- 10Pour batter into bundt pan and bang pan sharply on counter to eliminate air bubbles.
- 11Bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs adhering, about 50 minutes.
- 12Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes.
- 13Turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- 14You can serve the gingerbread immediately, dusting lightly with confectioners sugar, and/or adding whipped cream.
- 15You can also hold the gingerbread for a day before serving, as the flavors develop with some time.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread Cake (Spicy)
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 663.6
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 69.7 mg
- Sodium 199.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 75.2 g
- Protein 5.8 g