Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This delicious bread pudding was inspired by canarygirl, Jane_in_RI, and *Denise*. I had a loaf of gingerbread in the freezer (#44268, by Sue L) and wanted to do something different. So we came up with this. And it is heavenly! A great change from everyday bread pudding, and wonderful for the cooler days of fall and winter.
- 5 -6 cups of cubed gingerbread
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, plumped in hot water
- Heat oven to 350°, grease an 8" square pan.
- I used a loaf size gingerbread for this, sliced and placed on a cookie sheet-toast in the oven for 5 or so minutes.
- Remove from oven, and cut into cubes.
- Place the cubes in the greased baking dish, they should just about fill the pan.
- Whisk the half and half, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl, and pour over the gingerbread.
- Let this sit for about 5 minutes.
- Cover the raisins with water and microwave for about one minute--drain off the water, then sprinkle them over the top of the pudding.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes.
- A knife inserted in the center will still look a bit wet, but mostly clean.
- Serve warm, with a bit of cream poured over, or whipped cream.
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!! I made up #44268 gingerbread, omitting the glaze.It makes two loaves so just freeze the other for another time. Cut up the bread in cubes and leave it out overnight. I followed the rest of the recipe exactly. I made up # 56294 custard sauce and spooned it over the pudding when it was done. OOOOH..we will be having this OFTEN! Just the best :-)