Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from a friend who aquired it from a friend in Ireland. Very moist with a great gingerbread taste. Great with a dollop of real whip cream.
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Stir together molasses and boiling water; add soda and let cool till lukewarm.
- Cream butter and sugar; add egg.
- Sift all remaining ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
- Add molasses mixture; batter will be very thin.
- Place batter in 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes then reduce heat to 300° and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until cake tests done.
I made a lot of modifications to this and it was the best gingerbread I have ever had or made! My changes: all whole wheat pastry flour, 1/4 cup more water, only used 1 teaspoon baking powder, used 1/2 cup sugar, tripled the amount of powdered ginger, added another egg, used 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, and added cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, black pepper, and 1 1/2 cups grated carrots. A lot of adjustments, but it made it absolutely perfect.
Thank you for such a wonderful gingerbread recipe. As it is written it certainly deserves 5 stars. Of course, we love spicy cakes and this is perfect for us. Great with lemon sauce or whipped cream. This is one of the few recipes that does not require changing.
Thank you so much Petdrwife for sharing your lovely gingerbread recipe. My mother and I enjoyed this easy to make dish very much. So much that we ate the whole cake by ourselves for breakfast and lunch today...totally awesome.