Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Couldn't find a suitable ginger chocolate/truffle for a friend who isn't allowed too much dairy. These were perfect, easy and very gingery :) I guess you could add some nuts to this mix, or even roll them in nuts or coconut. Have fun with it.
- 250 g ginger biscuits
- 400 g crystallized ginger
- 100 g chocolate (I used hazelnut chocolate)
- 300 g chocolate, for coating. (I used dark cooking chocolate)
- Pulverize the biscuits in your food processor until fine crumbs.
- Add the ginger and process 30 seconds, re-arrange and process another 30 seconds.
- Add the chocolate, broken into small pieces, and process until it all comes together in a tacky ball.
- Spread on a tray and refrigerate until you can easily roll it into small balls.
- Put the balls on baking paper, and return to fridge overnight.
- Melt the extra chocolate and dip each ginger ball to coat, refrigerate until hardened.
- NOTE ADDED: I just made these using ginger seconds from the ginger factory, and because these bit were smaller, there was more sugar in the mix, and I found I had to add 100g chocolate to make it come together. I also had to take the mix out and re-mix in 2 lots.
Everybody thought these were good and I absolutely loved the gingery taste of them. I gave five stars instead of four, as my only problem with them was I was not keen on the texture, but I think that was my fault as I think I processed to much. I think next time I make these I will blend well, but leave the mix with a few more small ginger chunks, as I think it would make them even better. If you love ginger as our family does, you can not fault the outstanding flavour of these. I did indulge and use very expensive Swiss chocolate for both the chocolate added to the ginger mix and also to dip them in and it made them heavenly. Thanks mummamills for such a great recipe and one that is perfect for my brother who has to watch his dairy too. I am really looking forward to making these again without blending so well, as I know they will be superb. Huge thumbs up from all. :)
So GINGERY and tasty! I'm not a huge fan of crystallized ginger, but I still enjoyed them; anyone who already loves it will go ape for these! You can't go wrong when there's a lot of chocolate involved :-) Thanks for posting!
These have an outstanding taste. I did not have a food processor, so I could not form a sticky ball, like the recipe said. They were hard to form into individual balls, so for some I just mixed in some of the melted chocolate. When I have a food processor I might try them again. Excellent taste. I tried these again with a food processor this year, and the consistency was much better. The taste is more well blended.