Recipe by threeovens
This dessert is made in a jelly roll pan, then filled with a cream cheese filling, rolled up and sliced pinwheel style.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
Oh yum! I can't believe this recipe has gone untried! I made as directed except I had to sub 1/4 cup honey for the other half of the molasses. My all-time favorite dessert to make is a pumpkin roll in the fall & now I can make something just as tasty & beautiful during the rest of the year! The ratio of spices was just perfect. Nothing was overpowering & the cake was moist, light & not too sweet. The filling was the ultimate compliment to the cake, as it had the sweetness mellowed by the tang of the cream cheese & a little boost of spice. We really enjoyed this dessert. Thanks for sharing, Kitty! :) Made for the Unrated Asian recipe tag game.
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan. Line pan with parchment paper and grease; dust pan with flour.
- Beat egg yolks for 4 minutes in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thick and lemony. Add butter and molasses and beat 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Fold in egg yolk mixture.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Fold into egg mixture until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until cake is golden and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan.
- Dust a clean linen towel with powdered sugar. Invert cake onto towel and peel off parchment paper. Gently roll cake with towel. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile make filling.
- Beat cream cheese and butter in medium bowl. Stir in powdered sugar, vanilla, ginger and cinnamon until smooth.
- Unroll cake and spread with filling. Roll back up and sprinkle with more powdered sugar.
- Slice thin to serve.