Recipe by brigittemurch
Old fashion ginger Cookies. Roll dough and cut out in any shape you desire. Can sprinkle with sugar or add red hot candies for decor. Old time recipe from 1948 or older passed down from generation to generation.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup hot coffee
- 2⁄3 cup molasses
- 5 cups flour, regular or 5 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda or 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon clove
- sugar, sprinkled or red-hot candies
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and sugar together.
- Add hot coffee to molasses.
- Add to creamed mixture.
- sift dry ingredients together.
- Add gradually to liquid mixture.
- Chill dough throughly.
- roll out on a pastry cloth or wax paper.
- 1/8 inch thick and cut out with cookie cutters.
- Bake 350 degrees for 15 to 17 minutes on a cookie sheet pan depending on how big cookies are. Less time for smaller cookies.
- Enjoy! good with a glass of milk or coffee and hot tea.