1/1 Photo of Ginger Molasses Cookies
These ginger molasses cookies bake up big and beautiful and full of spice from cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger. And they get their extra kick from crystallized ginger! They bake up with a nice crackle on top! Damp hands sprinkled with sugar will help you roll them into balls without sticking. Adapted from a recipe from Ina Garten.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups crystallized ginger, chopped (6 ounces)
- granulated sugar, for rolling cookies
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- 2In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and salt and then combine the mixture with your hands.
- 3In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the brown sugar, oil, and molasses on medium speed for 5 minutes. Measuring out the oil, then the molasses will help you get all the molasses out of the measuring cup!
- 4Turn the mixer to low speed, add the eggs, and beat for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula and beat for 1 more minute.
- 5With the mixer still on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the crystallized ginger and mix until combined.
- 6Scoop the dough with 2 spoons or a small 1" ice cream scoop. With your hands, roll each cookie into a 1 3/4-inch ball and roll in sugar. Then flatten them lightly with your fingers and place them on sheet pans. Sprinkle tops with additional sugar. Bake for exactly 13 minutes. The cookies will be crackled on the top and soft inside. Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Molasses Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (32 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.3
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 82.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: