- 1 cup butter or 1 cup hard margarine, softened at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup mild molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, for coating
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn the oven on to 375 degrees fahrenheit (190 degrees celsius). Put the first 5 ingredients into a bowl. Beat on low speed until smooth. Add the next 6 ingredients, stir with a spoon until moistened.
- Roll into 1 1/2 inch (3.5 cm) balls.
- Put the remaning sugar into a small bowl. Roll the balls 1 at a time in the sugar to coat them.
- Arrange the balls on the ungreased cookie sheets 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake on the center rack in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Let stand for about 2 minutes before removing the cookies to waxed paper lined on the counter. Cool competely. Store in a container with a lid.