Recipe by Chilicat
This recipe is the creation of Janie C. in Hawaii. It's made using the Dungeness crab "clusters", the part of the crab where the legs join the body. Because so much of the meat is visible in these pieces, they really soak up all the gingery, garlicky flavor of the oil. Serve over hot medium or long grain rice.
- 5 lbs crab, clusters
- 5 cups vegetable oil (about 5 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 whole head of garlic, chopped
- 4 hawaiian chili peppers, chopped (to taste)
- oyster sauce (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain crab clusters (the less water in the mixture the better). In a large wok or pot add oil, cilantro, green onion, ginger, garlic and peppers. Heat oil and ingredients until hot, stirring occasionally. Do not burn oil.
- Add oyster sauce to taste. Add gradually and mix well before adding more - the mixture should taste slightly sweet, not salty. Remove from heat and add crab, stirring to ensure crab is well seasoned.
- Let sit with no heat for ten minutes or longer to allow crab to soak. The crab tends to be more flavorful if allowed to soak longer before serving. Do not soak overnight.