Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I love roasted beets and this is another way I like to prepare them. This recipe is from the Vancouver Sun, Six O'Clock Solutions cookbook.
- 2 lbs beets
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon Splenda granular
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lime rind, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Carefully scrub the beets clean trimming off the leaves and the long root tip. Tightly wrap beets in aluminnum foil and place in oven for 40-50 minutes or until the beets are tender and the skin is loose. Remove from oven and cut a slit in the foil to allow the steam to escape.
- Allow the beets to cool enough so that you can handle them. Trim the ends and peel the skin. The skin should slip of quite easily. (I use plastic gloves so not to stain my hands) Cut the beets into chunks.
- Soak raisins in hot water for 5 minutes; drain.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium high hat. Stir in ginger and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Stir in raisins, sugar and vinegar. Add beets and cook until warmed through, stirring frequently.
- Place on platter and sprinkle with lime rind.
Yippee!! Yahoo! Your mouth will SING when you eat these beets! This is delicious! We love beets & especially roasted beets. This is a great way to further prepare roasted beets. Very easy to prepare, also. Thanks! Made just for the heck of it. ;) (not a tag, lol)