Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
2003 National Beef Cook-Off by Kristine Snyder
- 1 lb beef shoulder top blade steaks (flat iron) or 1 beef top round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 (13 3/4-14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-to-serve beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons mirin or 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 6 cups cooked fresh thin cut chinese noodles or 6 cups unseasoned instant ramen noodles
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onions or 1⁄2 cup matchstick-style shredded carrot
- Cut steaks crosswise into ¼-inch thick strips; cut strips in half.
- Heat ½ tablespoon sesame oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add ½ of beef, stir-fry 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink.
- Remove from skillet.
- Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Keep warm.
- Add broth, green onions and mirin to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile divide noodles and beef evenly among 4 large soup bowls.
- Bring broth mixture to a boil over high heat and ladle boiling mixture evenly over beef and noodles.
- Garnish with green onion or carrots if desired.