This unique bread recipe contains a delicious blend of flavors, including fresh or frozen rhubarb, golden raisins, fresh ginger, and coriander. Times do not include rising. Found on BHG. This is great around holiday time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rhubarb (fresh or frozen, chopped)
- 1/2 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped (1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1In a large bowl, stir together 3/4 cup water and yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat and stir milk, sugar, butter, salt, rhubarb, golden raisins, shallot, ginger, and coriander just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Stir milk mixture into yeast mixture until combined. Stir in flour (dough will be sticky). Lightly coat a medium bowl with cooking spray; transfer dough to the greased bowl. Lightly coat a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray; cover bowl with the greased plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- 2Using a dough scraper or spatula, carefully loosen dough from bowl and turn out onto a floured surface. Cover with the greased plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 3Grease a baking sheet; sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Gently shape dough into 6-inch round loaf. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, using dough scraper or spatula if necessary. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 1 hour).
- 4Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 2 teaspoons water; brush over loaf. Bake in the preheated oven about 25 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in loaf registers at least 200 degrees F. If necessary, cover with foil during the last 5 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with honey.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger and Rhubarb Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.7
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 33.0 mg
- Sodium 336.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 6.3 g