Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This unique bread recipe contains a delicious blend of flavors, including fresh or frozen rhubarb, golden raisins, fresh ginger, and coriander. Times do not include rising. Found on BHG. This is great around holiday time.
- 3⁄4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rhubarb (fresh or frozen, chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped (1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, stir together 3/4 cup water and yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat and stir milk, sugar, butter, salt, rhubarb, golden raisins, shallot, ginger, and coriander just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Stir milk mixture into yeast mixture until combined. Stir in flour (dough will be sticky). Lightly coat a medium bowl with cooking spray; transfer dough to the greased bowl. Lightly coat a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray; cover bowl with the greased plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Using a dough scraper or spatula, carefully loosen dough from bowl and turn out onto a floured surface. Cover with the greased plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Grease a baking sheet; sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Gently shape dough into 6-inch round loaf. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, using dough scraper or spatula if necessary. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 2 teaspoons water; brush over loaf. Bake in the preheated oven about 25 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in loaf registers at least 200 degrees F. If necessary, cover with foil during the last 5 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with honey.