Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
Food & Wine. 1998.
- 1⁄2 cup whole almond, toasted (3 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a food processor, combine the almonds with 3 tablespoons of the sugar and process to a coarse powder.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the flour, ginger and a pinch of salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar and the vanilla until well blended. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a 6-inch-long log. Wrap each log in plastic and chill until firm, at least 3 hours or for up to 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Slice the dough logs 1/4 inch thick and arrange the slices 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake the cookies for about 18 minutes, or until golden on the bottoms and edges; shift the pans halfway through baking.
- Slide the parchment with the cookies onto wire racks and let the cookies cool completely before serving.