Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from Gina and Patrick Neely. It's a great cornbread recipe.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, slightly cooled
- 2 tablespoons rendered bacon fat, butter, shortening or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400. Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet in oven for 30 minutes.
- In large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and sugar. Make a well in the center and add milk, eggs and melted butter. Stir just until moistened.
- Remove skillet from oven and add bacon fat to skillet. Swirl around to coat bottom and sides, then pour in cornbread mixture. Smooth the top with a spatula, then place in oven and bake about 25 minutes, or until brown.
- If you like, you can spread 2 tablespoons of butter on top of hot cornbread to melt.
I always like using a cast iron pan so I enjoyed making this! It was very easy to make too. The only problem that I had was, by the time it browned, the cornbread was a bit dry. I think it would be nice to add some creamed corn to this or more of some other type of liquid. A little butter helped out with that though! We enjoyed this with chicken thighs and broccoli with cheese. Made for Went To The Market tag game. Thanks linguinelisa! :)