48 hrs 10 mins
French Tart's Note:
This is a slightly different Gravlax recipe than normal, as it uses gin and juniper for a clean, sophisticated and fresh taste - if you are not keen on gin - you could use vodka instead! Junipers can also be replaced by a few extra peppercorns. Gravlax (pronounced grov-lox) is from the Swedish name for this dish. Norwegians call it gravlaks and the Danish refer to it as Gravad laks. It literally means "buried salmon" and the name refers to the traditional method of preparation for this food: fresh salmon was heavy salted and buried in dry sand to ferment and cure.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg fresh salmon, tail
- 2 ounces maldon crystal salt
- 3 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black peppercorns
- 6 tablespoons gin
- 2 teaspoons crushed juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 1Remove the bone from the salmon, leaving two triangular fillets with the skin intact.
- 2To make the curing mixture, mix together the Maldon Crystal Salt, sugar and peppercorns,juniper berries and the gin.
- 3Place the salmon, skin side down, on a board and place half of the curing mixture over the surface of each fillet, pressing it well into the flesh. Now cover each fillet with the chopped dill.
- 4Place one fillet on top of the other to make a sandwich with the dill in the centre and the skin on the outside. Wrap tightly in Clingfilm and place on a shallow dish or plate. Place a plate over the top and weight with a heavy tin. Put in the fridge for 24 - 48 hours turning the gravalax twice during the curing time.
- 5Unwrap the gravlax and slice thinly Serve with rye bread and a sauce made from equal quantities of mayonnaise and wholegrain mustard mixed with a little sugar and chopped dill.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gin and Juniper Cured Salmon - Scandinavian Gravlax
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.1
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 130.0 mg
- Sodium 5704.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 49.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: