Recipe by mollypaul
An exquisite Iranian dish.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
The vegetable mix for this dish can be purchased in Iranian groceries here. I haven't made it for years and couldn't remember the recipe when I found the "lost" bag with the dried veggies in the depth of my pantry. This was exactly what I was looking for - love it :D Thanks for posting!
Made for Healthy Hearts Find The Tags / Diabetic Forum Feb. 2012.
- 907.18 g boneless lamb stewing meat (cut into 3/4-inch cubes) or 907.18 g boneless beef roast (cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 78.07 ml cooking oil
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 354.88 ml water
- 6 dried limes or 118.29 ml fresh lime juice
- 177.44 ml kidney bean (canned is fine)
- 1 large potato, diced (optional)
- black pepper
- 236.59 ml green onion, finely chopped
- 354.88 ml spinach, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml parsley, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- 59.14 ml garlic chives, finely chopped (tareh)
- 59.14 ml fenugreek seeds, finely chopped (also called shanbelileh) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim meat and cut into 3/4" cubes.
- Fry onion over medium heat in half of the oil until golden.
- Add turmeric and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Increase heat, add meat cubes and stir over high heat until meat changes color and begins to turn brown.
- Reduce heat.
- Add water, drained kidney beans, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer gently for about an hour or until meat is tender.
- Fry potatoes over high heat in the remaining oil until lightly browned.
- Add to sauce, leaving oil in the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add prepared vegetables to frying pan and fry over medium heat until wilted.
- Add to sauce, then add dried limes (or lime juice), cover and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with white rice.