Submitted for RSC #9.
Make and share this Get Well Soon Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 chicken (whole or cut into pieces)
- 3 gallons water
- 4 white onions, unpeeled, quartered
- 1 bunch celery, ends trimmed, halved
- 1 lb carrot, ends trimmed, unpeeled, halved
- 2 whole heads of garlic, unpeeled, halved horizontally
- 1 cup fresh herb (your choice, dill, parlsey, sage, rosemary, thyme...)
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup quick oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups stock
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2-1 cup parmesan cheese (to taste)
- Combine all stock ingredients in a very large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil & simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken to a strainer set over a large bowl. When cooled, pick meat off bones & reserve for another use.
- Let vegetables simmer another hour then strain. The liquid should be significantly reduced.
- While stock is blissfully simmering away, make meatballs.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all meatball ingredients well with your hands.
- Shape into 1" balls. You should get about 2 dozen.
- Place on a baking sheet & bake 15 minutes. Roll around on baking tray & bake another 15 minutes.
- When stock is done & strained, put 8c into a large soup pot. Reserve the rest for a myriad of other dishes. It also freezes very well.
- Add all the vegetables to the stock.
- Bring to a boil & simmer until veggies are tender - about 15 minutes - breaking up the tomatoes a bit as it simmers.
- Add meatballs & heat through another 10 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning; add salt & pepper as necessary. Add parsley & serve.
- We enjoyed this garnished with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
I chose to make this tonight because we all were not feeling well. As sick as I was I was able to make a healthy meal for us to eat tonight. For me I chose to leave in the chicken with the meatballs. So worth making. We all loved this one.
This soup is delicious. I liked the fact that I had precooked chicken for the next day's meal and some good homemade stock left over for the freezer. The directions were easy to follow. The leftover soup reheated nicely and I did add some cooked ditalini to the leftovers, which gave it a little more substance. I will make this again, it is a keeper.
We LOVED this soup!! I served it to my whole family, even my picky 6 year old gave it 5 stars. It had a terrific blend of flavours, and yes, it really was a "Get Well Soon" soup, we were all sick when I made this ;) Simple to make and well written directions, I will be making this soup again!