Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is not a sweet cake, it is a savory snack food from Hessen.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 12 slices thick white bread, crusts removed
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 3 cups grated gouda cheese or 3 cups processed cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika, hot
- Butter two baking dishes and arrange the bread on them, close together. If there are gaps, cut extra bread to fit. Pour on half the milk. Leave for 2 - 3 minutes to soak in, then pour off or spoon out any excess into a saucepan. Scatter with the caraway. Set the oven to 325°F.
- Add the rest of the milk to the pan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat, and add the cheese, stirring until it is thoroughly melted and creamy. Season with salt and paprika to taste. Pour over the bread and bake in the heated oven for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and the edges are crisp.
- Serve with beer and schnapps, cider or wine.