1/2 Photos of German Style Soft Pretzel
1 hr 25 mins
Mama Cee Jay's Note:
I used many different sources to develop this recipe including the expertise of Stephen Block who sends out a cooking newsletter called Kitchen Project based on German heritage recipes.
My Private Note
large p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb unbleached all-purpose flour (substitute bread flour)
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (not necessary with bread flour)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 9 ounces warm water
- boiling water, in a medium heatproof bowl or saucepan
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt (more or less according to your preference)
- 1To make in food processor or large mixer: combine flour, gluten, brown sugar, salt, yeast. Add water until dough ball is formed. (This will take much longer in a mixer than a food processor.) Remove from bowl and knead by hand for 2-5 minutes until dough ball is smooth.
- 2If you have an extra day, place dough in covered bowl into refrigerator for 8-24 hours; bring to room temperature before rolling out (approximately 25 minutes).
- 3If making the same day, allow dough to sit on counter top for 5-10 minutes before proceeding.
- 4Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Boil water for dipping pretzels.
- 5Divide dough into six pieces and roll each piece into long thin pieces approximately 24" long. Take each piece and shape into upside down U. Lift up the ends and form a twist in the middle section of the piece. Bring the ends to the top of the pretzel and press into the dough. Proceed with shaping each piece.
- 6Add baking soda and sugar to boiling water. With large slotted spoon, dip each pretzel into the water solution for 5 seconds. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkle with coarse salt. Place baking sheet in oven and reduce heat to 425 deg F and bake for 10 minutes. Then turn the sheet and bake for another 10-15 minutes until all pretzels are nicely browned.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Style Soft Pretzel
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.1
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3731.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten