Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
In Germany, there are charming areas outside many restaurants called a "Biergarten" with patio furniture in a garden setting where customers gather around 4pm for an hour or two to relax with either a beer or an iced coffee. This is the typical way an iced coffee is served in the spring & summer at German Beergardens in the Bonn area, where I currently live. It is also a popular choice as a dessert beverage. The measurements are approximate and will vary greatly based on the size of glass used. They also often stick a decorative long toothpick with metallic streamers to garnish as well as the cookie (we think they look like sparklers).
- Place ice cream scoop into a decorative wine goblet or tall clear drinking glass.
- Add coffee to fill glass 1/2-3/4 full (amount will vary based on size of glass).
- Completely cover with a mountain of sweetened whipped cream (use the canned kind or a decorating bag to make decorative swirls)- the whipped cream should be plentiful and just start to peak over the top of the glass rim.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated good quality chocolate.
- Stick a wafer cookie into the whipped cream off to the side.
- Serve with some sugar on the side (for those who want to add more sweetness- although the ice cream and the whipped cream pretty much cover this), a long spoon, and a straw.
this was a wonderful pick me up in the afternoon. i always have cold coffee in the fridge, the ice cream and whipped cream made this a rich sweet snack. chocolate shavings gave it a mocha taste. very enjoyable
I served this beautiful drink to a group of ladies I really wanted to impress. And was everyone amazed! There were several non-coffee drinkers in the group, but after seeing how pretty the drink was, they changed their mind. I did make one change: I used hazelnut flavored coffee with a hazelnut cookie. This is a wonderful end to a great meal too. It makes your guests feel special.
This is a great way to enjoy coffee, thank you for reminding me at this recipe. Very refreshing and easy to make, I just prepared it for some friends. It looked very nice and everybody was happy. :-)