Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found online; posting for ZWT6 (Germany)
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 20 drops anise oil
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- crushed anise seed
- Beat eggs until very light.
- Gradually add sugar and beat 15 minutes at high speed until mixture resembles a soft meringue, this is very important; don't skimp on time.
- Add anise oil and blend gently.
- SIft together flour and baking soda and add to egg mixture at low speed Cover bowl tightly for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into thirds and roll each piece into an 8 inch square a little more than 1/4 inch thick.
- While working with one keep others covered.
- Let stand 1 minute.
- Dust springerle mold with flour and press into dough.
- Cut cookies apart.
- Place on lightly floured surface and let stand overnight.
- Grease baking sheet and sprinkle with anise seeds.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Brush excess flour from cookies, moisten lightly with water and place on baking sheets.
- Bake about 20 minutes and store tightly covered.