- Ready In:
- 24hrs 30mins
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 4 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar (1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon anise extract
- anise seed
- In large mixer bowl, beat eggs at high speed until thick & lemon colored.
- Continue beating while adding sugar slowly; add flour, baking powder, lemon peel & anise extract- beat together completely.
- On a well-floured board, roll out some of the dough with a plain rolling pin to about 1/2" thickness; lightly flour Springerle rolling pin & roll it firmly across dough to impress patterns (try to keep dough about 1/2" thick).
- Cut cookies apart between patterns.
- Place cookies 1/2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets, and allow them to dry uncovered overnight (12 hours).
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 250-300° & place cookies 1/2" apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 25-30 minutes until firm but still white.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Store cookies in a tightly covered container with some anise seeds.
- Flavor develops fully after about 2 weeks.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation