1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
This is grilled and makes a nice meatloaf shape that can be carved into slices as an elegant grilled dinner item with a sauerbraten type of gravy or made into German burgers by serving on a bun, with an extra slice of swiss melted on top. It's different, to be sure, but in a good way, and it is delicious and all my family enjoyed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb bulk bratwurst (no casings)
- 3/4 lb cold pack sauerkraut, drained and squezed dry
- 4 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon dusseldorf mustard or 1 tablespoon other German mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1Prepare grill for indirect cooking.
- 2Saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- 3Allow to cool, then mix in meats, mustard, salt and pepper.
- 4Oil or spray a cookie sheet sized piece of wax paper.
- 5Evenly spread out meat into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- 6Layer cheese and sauerkraut over the surface of the meat.
- 7Carefully roll meat up as a jelly roll, pinching sides and seams closed.
- 8Place on grill away from direct heat and cook until center of roll registers 160F on a meat thermometer, about 75 minutes.
- 9Allow to stand 15-20 minutes before slicing.
You Might Also Like...View All Meatloaf Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Sauerkraut Roll
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.3
- Calories from Fat 367
- Total Fat 40.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 129.8 mg
- Sodium 1243.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 30.3 g