Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is grilled and makes a nice meatloaf shape that can be carved into slices as an elegant grilled dinner item with a sauerbraten type of gravy or made into German burgers by serving on a bun, with an extra slice of swiss melted on top. It's different, to be sure, but in a good way, and it is delicious and all my family enjoyed.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb bulk bratwurst (no casings)
- 3⁄4 lb cold pack sauerkraut, drained and squezed dry
- 4 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon dusseldorf mustard or 1 tablespoon other German mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking.
- Saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Allow to cool, then mix in meats, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Oil or spray a cookie sheet sized piece of wax paper.
- Evenly spread out meat into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Layer cheese and sauerkraut over the surface of the meat.
- Carefully roll meat up as a jelly roll, pinching sides and seams closed.
- Place on grill away from direct heat and cook until center of roll registers 160F on a meat thermometer, about 75 minutes.
- Allow to stand 15-20 minutes before slicing.