Recipe by Mme M
This salad uses chilled, crisp lettuce and a vinaigrette that is heated. It would be best to use Westphalian ham, a dry cured smoked ham. If that is unavailable, any prosciutto type ham will do.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon German mustard
- 3⁄4 cup safflower oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup Westphalian ham, diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 romaine lettuce hearts, trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the vinaigrette:
- Spoon the mustard into a medium bowl. Whisk in half the oil and half the vinegar until blended. Add remaining oil and vinegar, and whisk until blended. Whisk in water, and season with salt and pepper. Or, use a food processor.
- Next, place prosciutto in a small skillet on medium heat and sauté until it begins to brown. Add the minced garlic and brown together for a few seconds. Add vinaigrette and cook just until warm.
- Meanwhile, loosen each Romaine heart on 4 individual salad plates. Crumble blue cheese onto the lettuce, the optional hazelnuts, and drizzle with the warmed prosciutto (or Westphalian, better) dressing. Serve.