Recipe by Mom2Rose
This recipe was found on The German Corner website. This is an easy overnight instruction on how to make quark. Quark is a German dairy product similar to sour cream. It is used to make German Cheesecakes and other desserts and dishes. It is even delicious with some fresh herbs and spread on some bagels or fresh crusty bread rolls! You will need a covered pyrex baking dish or similar along with a large colander and a cheesecloth or plain linen.
Top Review by 606819
1/2 gallon buttermilk makes 490 grams fabulous Quark. I spread it on toast every morning and add a touch of jam. After 43 years in this country, I can't believe I am finally eating Quark!! Thank you.
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour buttermilk into pyrex baking dish.
- Cover with lid and put into oven overnight at lowest temperature (150F).
- The next morning line the colander with cloth and pour the lumpy buttermilk into it.
- Cover with the ends of the cloth and let drain into sink for about 6 hours.
- This process can be accelerated by putting a bowl filled with water on top.
- This recipe will yield about 1/4-1/2 lbs. of quark.