I think these originally came from Maida Heatter's fabulous cookie book. I usually make them at Christmas, but they're good any time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups flour (sifted, all-purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon clove (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (ground)
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup dates (pitted, coarsely chopped)
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (old-fashioned, not instant)
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (semisweet)
- 4 ounces pecans (broken into pieces)
- 1Preheat oven to 400. Cover two cookie sheets with aluminum foil, shiny side up.
- 2Place raisins in small saucepan. Cover with boiling water and let simmer for 5 minutes. Drain raisins in strainer and reserve 1/3 cup of the water.
- 3Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.
- 4In large bowl of electric mixer, cream the butter. Add sugar and beat well. Add the eggs one at a time, and beat until smooth after each addition. Add the dates and drained raisins, and beat just to mix. Beat in oatmeal. Gradually beat in reserve 1/3 cup of raisin water.
- 5On low speed, slowly add sifted dry ingredients, scraping bowl with rubber spatula and beating only until mixed. By hand, stir in the pecan pieces and chocolate chips. Dough may be stiff.
- 6Place dough by heaping teaspoonfuls on foil, about 2" apart. If you like, you can place a pecan half on top of each cookie for decoration (pecan halves are not included in the ingredients listed above.).
- 7Bake 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown. Cool.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Oatmeal Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (32 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.3
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 23.3 mg
- Sodium 70.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 2.0 g