Recipe by DailyInspiration
A traditional family favorite. Not sure where I originally found this recipe.
Top Review by karen
I absolutely LOVED this dish. What wonderful flavor. It's similar to Jewish noodle kugel with the sour cream and cottage cheese and eggs, but the onion and caraway seed really makes this dish shine. Do not leave out the these ingredients...they totally make the dish. I don't like celery, so I left it out and doubled the onion. I also think there weren't quite enough noodles...I had a hard time covering the dish in each layer. Next time I would go with 12 oz of noodles. And I would keep an eye on it...mine was done about 10 minutes early and the noodles were crisping up and the cheese was browning, so I went ahead and pulled it out. Definitely an all star...going in my Best of 2017 file!
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 cups sour cream (can use low-fat)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs (reduce the no. of eggs to 2 if they are jumbo)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease well a 2-quart casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook noodles according to package instructions until tender, but not soft. Drain well.
- Melt butter in a skillet; saute onion and celery. Stir in salt, caraway seed, and pepper. Spread a third of the noodles in casserole dish. Cover with half of the vegetables. Add half of the cottage cheese and half of the sour cream, spreading it over evenly. Repeat alternating layers, ending with noodles. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Pour beaten eggs over the top of the casserole. Bake for on hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into servings.