Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
German mushroom stuffed roast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs thin round steaks or 2 lbs flank steaks
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine, divided
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- Lightly salt and pepper steak, and spread one side with mustard.
- Heat vegetable oil in pan, and saute half of onions and all of mushrooms 3-4 minutes until limp.
- Stir in parsley, chives, butter and bread crumbs.
- Spread stuffing on mustard side of steak, and roll tightly, securing with string.
- In large dutch oven or casserole, saute bacon and remaining onion until lightly browned.
- Add the meat roll and brown on all sides.
- Stir in beef broth or water and beef bouillon, cover and simmer 1 hour.