Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe that we adapted for our family. Be prepared because we often have to double this recipe! We enjoy this recipe cold or at room temperature, if there is any left! The original recipe did not saute the celery, however, we did not like the texture and cooking the celery, brought out the flavor with the onion and garlic. We added garlic, dill and cayenne because we felt the recipe was "missing" something. I like to use celery salt instead of regular salt because it also adds additional flavor. It is a favorite in our home and enjoyed by our friends and family. I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it as much as we do.
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 4 slices bacon, cut in match stick pieces
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, to taste
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon dry dill, to taste
- 1 pinch red cayenne pepper, if desired
- Cook noodles according to the package directions.
- While the noodles are cooking, saute bacon in a large skillet, until lightly browned.
- Set aside.
- Reserve 1 Tablespoon of the drippings and saute onion, celery and garlic until tender, not brown.
- Stir in the sugar, flour, salt and mustard, dill and pinch of cayenne red pepper, if desired.
- Combine water and vinegar, add slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps, for about 2-3 minutes, until thickened.
- Rinse and drain noodles; add noodles, bacon and parsley to skillet.
- Heat and serve immediately.
This was very good! It was different from most noodle side dishes, and could be adjusted in many different ways. Maybe adding some chopped red peppers with the celery and onions, for example. I used celery salt and 1 1/2 tsp dried dill. I'll be making it many more times. Thanks very much for posting, Judy!
absolutely delicious! I did some amount adjustments, this recipe is wonderful! thanks Judy!...Kitten:)
This was fantastic. We couldn't stop eating it. There was so many wonderful flavors going through my taste buds. I loved the tang of the cider vinegar mixed with the salty taste of the bacon and all the spices. This was wonderful. Thank you for sharing.