Recipe by Caryn
These have been a favorite of mine for years. They are quite different from most brownie/bar cookies yet are a hit every time they've been served. If you like caramel and chocolate .....
- 396.89 g package caramels
- 118.29 ml evaporated milk
- 524.46 g package German chocolate cake mix
- 177.44 ml butter, softened
- 78.07 ml evaporated milk
- 236.59 ml nuts, chopped
- 340.19 g package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Unwrap the bag of caramels.
- Over a double boiler, melt caramels with 1/2 cup evaporated milk; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine German Chocolate cake mix, butter, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, nuts and 6-ounces (1 cup) chocolate chips; mix by hand until mixture holds together.
- Press 1/2 mixture in a 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 6 ounces (1 cup) chocolate chips evenly over the top of baked mixture.
- Spread/drizzle the melted caramel evenly over the top of the baked mixture/chocolate chips.
- Crumble the remaining reserved mixture evenly over the top of the caramel.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes. Cool completely (may speed up cooling by placing in the refrigerator) before cutting.